Neuralink Plans High-Volume Brain Implant Production by 2026, Musk Says

Neuralink will begin “high-volume production” of its brain–computer interface implants and shift to a fully automated surgical procedure in 2026, according to a statement by Elon Musk.

Musk shared the update on the social media platform X on Wednesday. Neuralink did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Reuters.

The Neuralink implant is designed to help people with neurological conditions such as spinal cord injuries by enabling direct communication between the brain and computers. The company’s first patient has demonstrated the ability to play video games, browse the internet, post on social media and control a laptop cursor using only their thoughts.

Neuralink began human trials of its brain implant technology in 2024, after resolving safety concerns raised by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The regulator had initially rejected the company’s application in 2022, citing risks related to the device and surgical process.

In September, Neuralink said that 12 people worldwide with severe paralysis had received its implants and were using them to control both digital and physical tools through neural signals. The company has positioned the technology as a potential breakthrough for restoring independence to patients with limited mobility.

The startup has also attracted strong investor interest. In June, Neuralink raised $650 million in a funding round, providing capital to scale manufacturing, expand clinical trials and advance automation plans ahead of its targeted 2026 production push.

U.S. Grants TSMC Annual Licence to Import Chipmaking Tools into China

The U.S. government has granted an annual licence to TSMC allowing it to import U.S.-made chip manufacturing equipment into its facilities in Nanjing, China, the company said on Thursday.

In a statement to Reuters, TSMC said the approval would “ensure uninterrupted fab operations and product deliveries.” The licence allows U.S. export-controlled equipment to be supplied to TSMC’s Nanjing operations without the need for individual vendor approvals.

South Korean chipmakers Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix have also received similar licences, according to industry sources. The move comes after earlier exemptions granted to Asian chipmakers under Washington’s export controls expired at the end of December.

Previously, companies such as TSMC, Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix had benefited from a special status known as “validated end-user,” which allowed them to continue shipping certain U.S. chip-related equipment to China despite broad restrictions aimed at limiting Beijing’s access to advanced semiconductor technologies. That status expired on December 31, forcing companies to apply for individual export licences for 2026.

Picture background

TSMC clarified that the licence applies specifically to its Nanjing plant, which manufactures 16-nanometre and other mature-node chips rather than the company’s most advanced semiconductors. The Taiwanese chipmaker also operates a fabrication plant in Shanghai, but has not disclosed whether similar arrangements apply there.

According to TSMC’s 2024 annual report, the Nanjing facility accounted for about 2.4% of the company’s total revenue, highlighting its relatively modest but still strategically important role in TSMC’s global manufacturing network.

The decision underscores Washington’s attempt to balance strict controls on cutting-edge semiconductor technology with limited flexibility for mature-node production that supports global supply chains, even as geopolitical and technological competition with China continues to intensify.

India Approves $4.6 Billion in Electronic Component Manufacturing Projects

India has approved electronic component manufacturing projects worth 418.63 billion rupees ($4.64 billion) under a government incentive programme aimed at strengthening domestic production, the country’s IT ministry said on Friday.

Global and domestic players including Samsung Electronics, Tata Electronics and Foxconn are among the companies whose proposals were cleared to receive subsidies under the Electronics Component Manufacturing Scheme. The scheme has a total outlay of 229.19 billion rupees and is designed to expand local capacity in key segments of the electronics supply chain.

The approved projects cover the production of a wide range of components, including mobile phone enclosures, camera sub-assemblies and other critical electronic parts. According to the IT ministry, the projects will be implemented across eight Indian states, reflecting a geographically diversified push to scale up manufacturing.

India has intensified efforts in recent years to build a globally competitive electronics manufacturing ecosystem. Through a series of incentive programmes, the government aims to attract both international and local investors, reduce reliance on imports and strengthen supply chains across multiple technology sectors.

The country’s electronics manufacturing sector produced goods worth about $125 billion in the year ended March 2025. The government has set an ambitious target to raise output to $500 billion by fiscal year 2031, positioning electronics as a key pillar of India’s industrial growth strategy.

Officials said the newly approved projects are expected to generate electronic components worth 2.58 trillion rupees ($28.62 billion) over time and create employment for around 34,000 people, providing a significant boost to manufacturing jobs and regional development.