China Reviews Meta’s Purchase of AI Startup Manus Over Possible Tech Control Violations, FT Reports

Chinese authorities are reviewing Meta Platforms’s acquisition of artificial intelligence startup Manus for potential violations of China’s technology export control rules, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday, citing people familiar with the matter.

According to the report, officials from China’s commerce ministry are assessing whether the relocation of Manus’ staff and technology to Singapore, followed by its sale to Meta, should have required an export license under Chinese law. The review is said to be at a preliminary stage and may not result in a formal investigation.

However, the Financial Times noted that if an export license were deemed necessary, it could give Beijing leverage over the transaction and, in an extreme scenario, potentially force the parties to abandon the deal. Reuters said it could not immediately verify the report. Meta and Manus did not respond to requests for comment.

Meta acquired Manus last month, with a source familiar with the matter previously telling Reuters that the deal valued the Singapore-based company at between $2 billion and $3 billion.

Manus drew widespread attention earlier this year after its product went viral on X. The startup claimed to have developed the world’s first general AI agent capable of autonomously making decisions and executing tasks with minimal prompting, positioning it as a potential rival to AI systems such as ChatGPT and DeepSeek.

The reported review comes amid heightened scrutiny by Chinese regulators over outbound transfers of advanced technology, particularly as geopolitical tensions rise and governments seek to safeguard strategic AI capabilities.

Japan Condemns China’s Dual-Use Export Ban as Rare Earth Curbs Loom

Japan on Wednesday condemned China’s ban on dual-use exports to its military as “absolutely unacceptable,” warning that the move could be followed by broader restrictions on rare earth exports, escalating tensions between Asia’s two largest economies.

Dual-use items include goods, software, and technologies with both civilian and military applications, such as critical minerals used in drones and semiconductor manufacturing. Tokyo’s criticism came after Beijing announced a ban on exports to Japanese military users or for any purposes that could enhance Japan’s military capabilities.

Japan’s top government spokesman, Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara, said the measure deviates sharply from international norms and unfairly targets Japan. He declined to specify which industries might be affected, noting that the scope of the restrictions remains unclear.

The dispute traces back to comments made late last year by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi, who said a Chinese attack on democratically governed Taiwan could pose an existential threat to Japan. China considers Taiwan part of its territory, a claim Taiwan rejects. Beijing has demanded Takaichi retract the remarks, which she has refused to do, prompting a series of retaliatory measures.

Japanese markets reacted negatively, with the Nikkei 225 falling about 1% on Wednesday. Shares of major defense contractors Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries were among the biggest decliners, each dropping around 2%.

Picture background

RARE EARTH CURBS IN FOCUS
Chinese state-backed newspaper China Daily reported on Tuesday that Beijing is considering tighter restrictions on rare earth exports to Japan, a move that could have far-reaching consequences for Japan’s manufacturing sector, particularly automobiles. Despite efforts to diversify supply since China curtailed rare earth exports in 2010, Japan still sources about 60% of its rare earth imports from China. For certain heavy rare earths used in electric and hybrid vehicle motors, dependence on China is nearly total, analysts say.

Japanese automaker Subaru said it is closely monitoring the situation, while Toyota Motor and Nissan Motor did not immediately comment.

According to Takahide Kiuchi, an economist at Nomura Research Institute, a three-month halt in Chinese rare earth exports could cost Japanese businesses 660 billion yen ($4.2 billion) and reduce annual GDP by 0.11%. A year-long ban could shave 0.43% off economic output.

Supply chain consultancy Tidalwave Solutions said Japan is unlikely to remain passive if the curbs expand. “If Japanese civilian or commercial entities are targeted, you could see retaliation,” said Cameron Johnson, a senior partner at the firm, adding that Tokyo could respond by restricting materials China needs for its own high-end manufacturing.

Adding to the strain, China on Wednesday launched an anti-dumping investigation into Japanese imports of dichlorosilane, a key chemical used in semiconductor production, according to China’s commerce ministry.

The standoff has already led Beijing to discourage travel to Japan, halt imports of Japanese seafood, and cancel bilateral meetings and cultural exchanges. Analysts say the dispute could drag on, drawing parallels to the 2012 row over disputed islands that froze high-level talks for more than two years.

China’s foreign ministry reiterated its demand that Japan retract the Taiwan-related remarks. “We urge the Japanese side to confront the root cause of the issue, reflect on its mistakes, and retract the erroneous remarks,” spokesperson Mao Ning said.

L3Harris Sells 60% Stake in Space Propulsion Business to AE Industrial for $845 Million

U.S. defense contractor L3Harris Technologies said on Monday it will sell roughly a 60% stake in its space propulsion and power systems business to private equity firm AE Industrial Partners for $845 million, including debt.

The transaction advances L3Harris’ strategy to scale back its exposure to space-related activities and sharpen its focus on defense capabilities, as rising geopolitical uncertainty drives increased demand for military technologies.

Separately, L3Harris announced it will reorganize its operations into three business segments, down from four, to better align its portfolio with what it described as the “future of warfare.” The new structure will consist of space and mission systems led by Sam Mehta, communications and spectrum dominance headed by Jon Rambeau, and missile solutions overseen by Ken Bedingfield.

“We’re now best poised to deliver the speed, technology and commerciality required by our most important customer – the warfighter,” said Chief Executive Christopher Kubasik.

Despite the divestment, L3Harris will retain full ownership of the RS-25 rocket engine, which is currently used in NASA’s Space Launch System for the Artemis program.

The deal with AE Industrial, first reported by Reuters on Sunday, is expected to close in the second half of 2026. AE Industrial said the partnership will also help accelerate the development of next-generation propulsion technologies, including nuclear propulsion systems viewed as critical for future Mars exploration missions.

AE Industrial’s previous investments in the space sector include Firefly Aerospace, RedWire Space, and York Space Systems.