India Launches AI Governance Framework Outlining Principles and Future Roadmap

The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has officially released India’s Artificial Intelligence (AI) Governance Framework, providing a comprehensive set of guidelines and recommendations for regulators, policymakers, and stakeholders. The framework was formally unveiled by Professor Ajay Kumar Sood, Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, along with other senior officials, signaling the government’s commitment to building a structured approach toward AI adoption and oversight. Among its key proposals are the establishment of new regulatory bodies, updates to existing laws, and amendments to relevant legal provisions to address the unique challenges posed by AI technologies.

The 68-page report emphasizes foundational principles that should guide AI development and deployment across India. Central to the framework are respect for human rights, non-discrimination, safety, transparency, and fairness. MeitY underscores the importance of ensuring AI systems are trustworthy and inclusive, benefiting a broad spectrum of communities, especially those historically underserved or marginalized. The framework aims to strike a balance between encouraging innovation and safeguarding public interest.

Rather than imposing blanket prohibitions, the framework advocates a risk-based approach to AI governance. This means the level of scrutiny and oversight would be proportional to the potential harm and societal impact associated with a given AI system. Systems with higher risk profiles would be subject to stricter regulatory requirements, while low-risk applications could operate with lighter oversight, allowing for greater flexibility and innovation.

To facilitate practical adoption, the guidelines propose a phased implementation model. This includes pilot projects, iterative evaluations, and stakeholder consultations to refine and improve regulatory mechanisms over time. The framework also encourages collaboration between government agencies, industry, academia, and civil society to ensure that India’s AI ecosystem develops responsibly, ethically, and competitively on a global scale.

Qualcomm’s Strong Forecast Overshadowed by Expected Samsung Loss

Qualcomm projected stronger-than-expected quarterly sales and profit on Wednesday, buoyed by a rebound in premium smartphone demand, but its stock slipped in after-hours trading amid concerns over a potential loss of business from Samsung next year.

For the quarter ending in December, the chip designer forecast revenue and adjusted earnings at midpoints of $12.2 billion and $3.40 per share, beating analyst expectations of $11.62 billion and $3.31, according to LSEG data.

However, CEO Cristiano Amon said the company expects to supply about 75% of the modem chips for Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S26 lineup — down from 100% for the current Galaxy S25 models. The announcement sent Qualcomm shares down 2.7% in extended trading after a 4% rise earlier in the day.

Despite the setback, Amon emphasized that Qualcomm is diversifying beyond smartphones into automotive, laptop, and data center chips, as longtime client Apple moves toward producing its own modems.

He also revealed that Qualcomm is in discussions with a “large hyperscaler” — an AI-focused computing company — following its recent deal with Humain, an AI firm backed by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund.

The company’s fiscal fourth-quarter results also outperformed expectations, with $11.27 billion in sales and $3 per share in adjusted profit, compared to estimates of $10.79 billion and $2.88.

Amon said the forecast reflects a surge in demand for high-end smartphones capable of running AI applications, especially in markets like China and India, where consumers are “upgrading from mid-range to premium.”

Nexperia Warns It Cannot Guarantee Quality of China-Made Chips After October 13

Dutch semiconductor manufacturer Nexperia said it expects to resolve the ongoing crisis over control of the company but cautioned customers that chips produced in China after October 13 may not meet its quality or authenticity standards.

The warning follows a turbulent period for the firm, which saw the Dutch government seize control of Nexperia on September 30 amid national security concerns, and China respond by blocking chip exports on October 4. The resulting standoff has disrupted supply chains for automakers and electronics manufacturers that rely on Nexperia’s components.

The company said its operations outside China — including facilities in Europe, Malaysia, and the Philippines — remain unaffected and are functioning normally.

In a statement, Nexperia welcomed assurances that, under a new U.S.-China agreement, it will be exempt from American export restrictions for one year. Beijing has also said it will allow exports on a “case-by-case” basis.

Nexperia’s Chinese parent company, Wingtech Technology, remains under U.S. restrictions, and its founder Zhang Xuezheng was suspended as Nexperia CEO by a Dutch court on October 7, contrary to earlier reports suggesting he retained control.

While most of Nexperia’s chips are manufactured in Europe, about 70% are packaged and distributed in China, where the local unit has declared operational independence and claims to have sufficient inventory to meet demand through 2025.

The Dutch firm said it remains committed to maintaining its Chinese operations while seeking alternative packaging and supply solutions to ensure “product availability in a sustainable manner.”